Sunday 22 October 2017

Mitchell Marsh picks county cricket over IPL

Surrey have signed Australia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh as their overseas player for 2018.

Australia allrounder Mitchell Marsh has chosen a full season of county cricket ahead of chasing an IPL deal, signing on as Surrey's overseas player for 2018. Mitchell Marsh, the son of former Australia opener Geoff, has played 21 Tests, 48 one-day internationals and nine T20s since making his debut in 2011.
Marsh asserted, "I am extremely excited to join Surrey for the 2018 season. The opportunity to challenge myself in English conditions is something I can't wait for. I have followed the team closely this year and hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to some silverware, along with helping a young squad grow and improve. The opportunity to work with Michael di Venuto (Coach) and Alec Stewart (Team Director) is also very exciting. Bring on 2018!"
Surrey director of cricket Alec Stewart described Marsh as a "highly talented, exciting and motivated" all-rounder.
"His all-round abilities and experience will add great balance and depth to our squad," he added.
By making himself available for the full English season, Marsh will in all likelihood miss out on a lucrative IPL contract at next year's auction. The Western Australian had two forgettable years with Rising Pune Supergiant. In 2016, he returned home after three games due to a side strain. The following year, he picked up a shoulder injury while playing Tests in India and was replaced by Imran Tahir. Marsh is playing in the JLT Cup as a batsman only and is targeting a return to bowling in time for the Perth Scorchers' KFC Big Bash League campaign.
"It obviously gives me a chance to work on my batting, which has been great," Marsh said earlier this month. "As soon as I'm right to go I'll always be an allrounder as long as I play cricket.
"But at the end of the day if I'm going to play cricket for Australia I have to be the sixth best batsman for Australia batting at No 6. So I understand that."
Marsh is still recovering from shoulder surgery having been flown home from Australia's Tour of India in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment