Friday 13 October 2017

Ashish Nehra announces retirement: Nehra to retire after New Zealand T20 in Delhi

Good to retire when people ask why and not why not: Nehra

The 38-year-old quick was recalled for his country's current T20 series against Australia, six months after his last international appearance against England. "I think this is the way forward, especially the manner in which Bhuvneshwar has been bowling. In the last couple of years, whenever I've played with Bumrah, either of Bhuvi or [Mohammed] Shami have had to sit out. So I think this is the right time [to retire] and I think people are welcoming it." Nehra, who has played under a number of captains, is mulling over playing his last match under the leadership of Virat Kohli.
From Mohammad Azharuddin to Sourav Ganguly; Rahul Dravid to MS Dhoni. "Now, they say you can easily play for one more year. I've been a believer of the fact that it's always good to retire when people ask why and not why not. And it can't get bigger than the fact that I'm retiring at home. Nehra said: "You can't get bigger than retiring in front of your home crowd, where I played my first Ranji Trophy match 20 years ago. Nehra was part of the Indian squad which won the 2011 Cricket World Cup at home and was also a member of the Indian squad that finished runners-up to Australia in the 2003 World Cup. His best figures in ODI came in 2003 World Cup against England when he took 6/23.
Nehra made his debut back in 1999 under Mohammed Azharuddin. He has played a total of 17 Test matches, 120 ODIs and 26 T20 internationals so far.
He has picked up 157 ODI wickets, along with 44 Test wickets and 34 T20I wickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment